Tuesday, March 18, 2014

105 Pages of Bone in the Throat

The first 50 pages that I read ended with us knowing that Sally Wig (Tommy's mob connected uncle) has asked Tommy to do him a favor. Tommy is really resistant to help his uncle because he wants nothing to do with the mobs dirty business. We catch a glimpse of why this might be in the first chapter of the next 50 pages that I read, with Tommy describing his time with Diane.

Diane was Tommys girlfriend in high school. She mocked the mob openly to Tommy and thought of them as not scary, but irrelevant. This got to the point where Tommy was embarrassed to even be related to anyone connected to the mob. Her thoughts rubbed off on him and stuck, even after she moved to Boston for college.

Tommy thinks that he owes his uncle, for helping out his mom and him so much after his dad died, and decides to help him by letting Sally and a few of his friends into the restaurant. Terrible idea.
Sally, and his friend Skinny, end up gruesomely killing and chopping up a man they brought with them who had "made some people mad."

(If you think that this is the mysterious man who I mentioned in my first blog about this book, notice that I said he was chopped up. The actual mysterious man was found floating... whole.)

After that we kind of get turned in a different direction for the moment. An entire chapter was spent talking about how the head chef has a heroin addiction. In the first 50 pages (I think I forgot to mention this) Michael (that's his name) was stopped during a drug deal by undercover agents who thought he was Tommy. They took him into the station and, after figuring out who he really was, asked him to get close to Tommy and keep them informed. The chef also seems to be realizing that he has a drug addiction, since an entire chapter, like I said before, was spent talking about him going and trying to join a treatment program.

Lots of things can happen in just 50 pages. There were plenty of other smaller things that happened, other than what I have discussed, but I think I will wait to mention them until they play a bigger role in the story.

2 comments:

  1. this book really seems to be interesting and suspenseful! I might just have to read this book sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have to read this book just to figure out who the mysterious man is!

    ReplyDelete